Healthcare Science (Audiology) (3-year BSc)
The BSc Healthcare Science (Audiology) programme is a new 3 year programme of entry level training for clinical audiologists within the NHS.
Within the Modernising Scientific Careers (MSC) framework Audiology is grouped with Neurophysiology and Vision Sciences and elements of these areas will also form part of the first year of this programme.
The programme covers theoretical, practical and clinical aspects of audiology and related neurosensory topics. Academic components are studied throughout all three years.In years one and two, substantial practical skills training takes place in the well equipped HCD laboratories and clinics. Supervised clinical education and practice takes place within NHS clinics during each of the three years.
Why BSc Healthcare Science (Audiology) at Manchester?
- The Audiology and Deafness (A&D) Group at Manchester is the oldest Audiology department in the UK, dating back to 1919 and recognised as the premier centre for Audiology and Deaf-Education within the EU.
- An international centre of excellence for research, with high grant income, strong links with industry and the NHS, the group has a measurable impact on treatments and policy both nationally and internationally. Visit our website: Audiology and deafness research
- The programme is led by members of the Audiology and Deafness group, with extensive experience of delivering Audiology training at both undergraduate and postgraduate level. It also delivers various post qualification training courses and continued professional development units.
- The department has been running an MSc in Audiology and a BSc in Speech and Language Therapy for over 25 years and was one of the first to be commissioned in the UK to deliver the original BSc in Audiology commencing in 2002.
Thinking of applying?
About the course
- Fact file
- Course entry requirements
- Returning to education
Applications from returners to education and applicants with non-standard qualifications are strongly encouraged
- Open days: visit the campus
- Advice to applicants
- View: 1st year student (video)
Damon provides an insight into what the course entails
What is Healthcare Science?
"Audiology Healthcare Scientists measure and evaluate people's hearing and balance, fit and adjust aids, and offer therapeutic techniques to improve the quality of people's lives. They work with children or adults as well as special needs groups, and are involved in the delivery of long-term treatment, management and care." (NHS Web Site)