Dr Paul Warren B.Sc. (Hons.), Ph.D.
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0)161 2757699
- Postgraduate Research Tutor
Memberships of Committees and Professional Bodies
- Applied Vision Association
- Vision Sciences Society
- Cognitive Sciences Society
- Editorial Board member for Perception & iPerception
Perception and Action
Contour and shape; motion processing; optic flow; binocular vision; sensory integration; Bayesian vision; shape from texture; eye movements; extra-ocular mechanics and control
Human Judgement and Decision Making
Perception of randomness; Perceptual, perceptuo-motor and cognitive decision making under risk
Mathematical modelling for Psychology and Neuroscience; Models of human performance and behaviour
- Visual Psychophysics
- Computational Modelling
- PSYC10100: Research Methods & Statistics (Unit Leader)
- PSYC21012: Perception and Action
- PSYC31012: Landmark studies in Percetion
- PSYC30920: Final Year Research Project
- Cognitive Science module for Cognitive Brain Imaging MSc
PhD supervision (University of Manchester unless stated)
- Andreas Jarvstad (Cardiff Univerisity, School of Psychology) - completed 2012, ESRC funded
- Cassandra Rogers (Cardiff Univertsity, School of Psychology) - completed 2014, ESRC funded
- George Farmer - completed 2014, ESRC funded
- Daniel Poole - started 2011, ESRC funded
- Stephen Jachim - started 2011
- B.Sc. (Hons) June 1995. Pure, Applied and Computational Mathematics. University of Sheffield. U.K.
- Ph.D., May 2000. Thesis: Mathematical Models of 3-D Ocular Mechanics and Control
Artificial Intelligence and Vision Research Unit (AIVRU), Dept. of Psychology, University of Sheffield., U.K.
- Nov 1999 – Nov 2001: Post-doctoral Research Fellow, Dept. of Psychology and Center for Neural Science New York University. U.S.A.
- Jun 2002 – July 2003: Post-doctoral Research Associate, Dept. of Psychology, Glasgow University. U.K.
- Aug 2003 – Aug 2004: Post-doctoral Research Associate, School of Psychology, Cardiff University, U.K.
- Sept 2004 – Feb 2007: Senior Consultant, Centre for human Sciences, QinetiQ Ltd.
- Feb 2007– July 2009: Research Fellow of the Wales Institute of Cognitive Neuroscience(WICN), School of Psychology, Cardiff University, U.K.
Collaborators and affiliated staff
- Prof. Wael El-Deredy, School of Psychological Sciences, University of Machester, U.K.
- Dr. Andrew Foulkes, Dept. of Mathematics, Liverpool Hope University, U.K
- Prof. Tom Freeman, School of Psychology, Cardiff University, U.K.
- Dr. Umberto Gostoli, School of Psychological Sciences, University of Machester, U.K.
- Dr. Eric Graf, Dept. of Psychology, University of Southampton, U.K.
- Prof. Ulrike Hahn, Dept. of Psychological Sciences, Birkbeck, University of London, U.K.
- Prof. Andrew Howes, School of Computer Science, University of Birmingham, U.K.
- Dr. Andreas Jarvstad, School of Experimental Psychology, University of Bristol, U.K.
- Prof. Laurence Maloney, Dept. of Psychology and Center for Neural Science, New York University, U.S.A.
- Prof. Simon Rushton, School of Psychology, Cardiff University, U.K.
- Prof. Horst Zank, School of Economics, University of Mancehster, U. K.
- . Publication link: 2f1f3e93-1448-40f0-9880-1cd5bc5db733
Mcloughlin, N., Jachim, S., Warren, P. A., McLoughlin, N., & Gowen, E. (2015).Collinear facilitation and contour integration in autism: evidence for atypical visual integration. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, 9, . DOI:10.3389/fnhum.2015.00115
- . Publication link: 2fc94d71-2847-42d4-a62a-2240977b900c
Warren, P. A., Poole, D., Couth, S., Gowen, E., & Poliakoff, E. (2015).Adapting the crossmodal congruency task for measuring the limits of visual-tactile interactions within and between groups. Multisensory research.
- . Publication link: 62d0762d-f35a-46f7-937e-05631ebed838
Jarvstad, A., Hahn, U., Warren, P. A., & Rushton, S. K. (2014).Are perceptuo-motor decisions really more optimal than cognitive decisions?. Cognition, 130(3), 397-416. DOI:10.1016/j.cognition.2013.09.009
- . Publication link: b02e796f-e0a7-480a-96c6-3e2a3c53e6a9
Warren, P., Bello, P. (Ed.), Guarani, M. (Ed.), McShane, M. (Ed.), & Scassellati, B. (Ed.) (2014).Assessing the “bias” in human randomness perception. In P. Bello, M. Guarani, M. McShane, & B. Scassellati (Eds.), Proceedings of the 36th Annual Conference of the Cognitive Science Society. (pp. 3072-3077). Austin TX: Cognitive Science Society.
- . Publication link: 10e00fdb-cf03-4600-8704-3307e756631f
Foulkes, A. J., Rushton, S. K., & Warren, P. A. (2013).Flow parsing and heading perception show similar dependence on quality and quantity of optic flow. Frontiers in behavioral neuroscience, (MAY). DOI:10.3389/fnbeh.2013.00049
- . Publication link: d7d21e98-12d4-4a22-9489-b1bfc67b34ed
Foulkes, A. J., Rushton, S. K., & Warren, P. A. (2013).Heading recovery from optic flow: Comparing performance of humans and computational models. Frontiers in behavioral neuroscience, (MAY). DOI:10.3389/fnbeh.2013.00053
- . Publication link: 105701ea-fdd7-4f27-af27-2edebf1af96e
Warren, P. A., Jarvstad, A. H., & U. Rushton, S. K. (2013).Perceptuo-motor, cognitive, and description-based decision-making seem equally good. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, 110(40), 16271-16276.
- . Publication link: 7bb8ab22-ad2a-4940-8623-2c9d3b8a807c
Jarvstad, A., Rushton, S. K., Warren, P. A., & Hahn, U. (2012).Knowing When to Move On: Cognitive and Perceptual Decisions in Time. Psychological Science, 23(6), 589-597. DOI:10.1177/0956797611426579
- . Publication link: ae4793b6-7f49-4344-a733-d054f50450a4
Warren, P. A., Graf, E. W., Champion, R. A., & Maloney, L. T. (2012).Visual extrapolation under risk: Human observers estimate and compensate for exogenous uncertainty. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences, 279(1736), 2171-2179. DOI:10.1098/rspb.2011.2527
- . Publication link: fe66af71-9b52-4aac-99a7-fda5486a45d8
Warren, P. A., Rushton, S. K., & Foulkes, A. J. (2012).Does optic flow parsing depend on prior estimation of heading?. Journal of Vision, 12(11), . DOI:10.1167/12.11.8
- . Publication link: 573a77a6-1e3e-4584-9612-6648d7417212
Champion, R. A., & Warren, P. A. (2010).Ground-plane influences on size estimation in early visual processing. Vision Research, 50(16), 1510-1518. DOI:10.1016/j.visres.2010.05.001
- . Publication link: f21ae2f3-e764-4d9c-aef1-eb551182405c
Freeman, T. C. A., Champion, R. A., & Warren, P. A. (2010).A Bayesian Model of Perceived Head-Centered Velocity during Smooth Pursuit Eye Movement. Current Biology, 20(8), 757-762. DOI:10.1016/j.cub.2010.02.059
- . Publication link: 15541e23-12f4-4435-83ff-d0a7a2882ec2
Warren, P. A., & Hahn, U. (2010).Why three heads are a better bet than four: A Reply to Sun, Tweney and Wang (2009). Psychological Review, 117, 706-711.
- . Publication link: a03c98a9-dfc1-4151-9f33-5ce56fc09937
Warren, P. A., & Mamassian, P. (2010).Recovery of surface pose from texture orientation statistics under perspective projection. Biological Cybernetics, 103(3), 199-212. DOI:10.1007/s00422-010-0389-3
- . Publication link: 68fd5565-968c-4f96-b9d6-cc9a9f4781ea
Hahn, U., & Warren, P. A. (2009).Perceptions of Randomness: Why Three Heads Are Better Than Four. Psychological Review, 116(2), 454-461. DOI:10.1037/a0015241
- . Publication link: c9a87f79-c4c3-451c-bd30-42b5a2301fd5
Warren, P. A., & Rushton, S. K. (2009).Optic Flow Processing for the Assessment of Object Movement during Ego Movement. Current Biology, 19(18), 1555-1560. DOI:10.1016/j.cub.2009.07.057
- . Publication link: cd61bfaa-d208-4320-903c-ed47fa897ce2
Warren, P. A., & Rushton, S. K. (2009).Perception of scene-relative object movement: Optic flow parsing and the contribution of monocular depth cues. Vision Research, 49(11), 1406-1419. DOI:10.1016/j.visres.2009.01.016