Professor Adrian Wells PhD, AFBPsS, C.Psychol
- Information processing and emotional disorders
- Metacognitive therapy
- Cognitive behavioural therapies
- Anxiety disorders and phobias: nature and treatment
- Social anxiety disorder
- Worry and intrusive thoughts
- Post-traumatic stress: predictors and treatment
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Assessent of individual differences (questionnaire design and analysis)
- Experimental psychopathology
- Single case and small n research methods
- Clinical Trials
Adrian Wells' research interests are in the areas of cognitive theory and therapy, emotional disorders and metacognitive therapy. He has contributed to an understanding of mechanisms underlying general vulnerability to disorder, and the development of new treatments for social anxiety disorder, generalised anxiety, trauma reactions, and obsessions. His book: Attention and Emotion: A Clinical Perspective (co-authored with G. Matthews) was awarded the 1998 British Psychological Society Book Award for significant contributions to psychology. His book: "Cognitive Therapy of Anxiety Disorders: A Practice Manual and Conceptual Guide" has become a benchmark therapists’ text. More recently his work has focused on understanding the cognitive mechanisms in disorder maintenance and change, which has given rise to a new form of therapy based on principles of metacognition. This work is described in his book "Emotional Disorders & Metacognition: Innovative Cognitive Therapy. Chichester, UK: Wiley. Adrian Wells is the originator of Metacognitive Therapy (MCT) which is undergoing evaluation in controlled trials. MCT for Generalized Anxiety has recently been included in NHS NICE guidelines. Professor Wells is author of the treatment manual: Metacognitive Therapy for Anxiety and Depression (2009); New York, Guilford Press.
B.Sc (Hons) Aston University
Ph.D Aston University
M.Sc. Clinical Psychology. Leeds University
Diploma in Cognitive Therapy, University of Pennsylvania
Collaborators and affiliated staff
- Prof. Chris Brewin (University College London)
- Prof. Hans Nordahl (Norwegian University Trondheim)
- Dr. Peter Fisher (University of Liverpool)
- Prof. Gerald Matthews (University of Cincinatti)
- Prof. Marcantonio Spada (LSBU)
- . Publication link: de126a62-ceb9-45c2-8978-ae5cb0350376
Wells, A., & Papageorgiou, C. (2015).Group metacognitive therapy for severe antidepressant and CBT resistant depression: A baseline-controlled trial. Cognitive Therapy and Research, 39, 14-22.
- . Publication link: f8da9414-db07-4c44-98a2-173f66ce1b21
Wells, A., Austin, S. F., Mors, O., Mordentoft, M., Hjorthoj, C. R., Secher, R. G., ... Spada, M. (2015).Schizophrenia and metacognition: An investigation of course of illness and metacognitive beliefs within a first episode psychosis. Cognitive Therapy and Research, 39, 61-69.
- . Publication link: 74cd33e2-65d2-47ce-a0e3-6735a2745d5e
Wells, A., Callinan, S., & Johnson, D. (2015).A randomised controlled study of the effects of the attention training technique on traumatic stress symptoms, emotional set shifting and flexibility. Cognitive Therapy and Research, 39, 4-13.
- . Publication link: 80c49710-3c0f-4cf7-aa20-1eb101a7cc65
Wells, A., Malik, S., & Wittkowski, A. (2015).Emotion regulation as a mediator in the relationship between attachment and depressive symptomatology: A systematic review. Journal of Affective Disorders, 172, 428-444.
- . Publication link: 42f115af-a221-4592-b397-be19fce58d94
Wells, A., Walton, D., Lovell, K., & Proctor, D. (2015).Metacognitive therapy versus prolonged exposure in adults with chronic post-traumatic stress disorder: A parallel randomized controlled trial. Cognitive Therapy and Research, 39, 70-80.
- . Publication link: 0d8c3391-f248-49e5-9779-6abd4f2d2084
Wells, A., Yilmaz, A. E., & Gençöz, T. (2015).Unique Contributions of Metacognition and Cognition to Depressive Symptoms. The Journal of General Psychology, 142, 23-33.
- . Publication link: 91fd6a90-7ce0-42c5-81d1-4ebbd55481ee
Wells, A., & Matthews, G. (2015).Attention and Emotion: A Clinical Perspective (Classic Edition). (2nd (Classic) ed.) Hove, UK: Psychology Press.
- . Publication link: 09948b02-1b78-4ac7-80c0-c18202cfac21
Wells, A., & Bailey, R. (2014).Metacognitive Therapy in the Treatment of Hypochondriasis: A Systematic Case Series. Cognitive Therapy and Research, 38, 541-550.
- . Publication link: deeec29b-7de7-46ad-b857-28331ada253c
Wells, A., & Nassif, Y. (2014).Attention Training Reduces Intrusive Thoughts Cued by a Narrative of Stressful Life Events: A Controlled Study. Journal of Clinical Psychology, 70, 510-517.
- . Publication link: 8060948c-f1de-42cf-8e0b-63e29d6e6e8e
Wells, A., & Roussis, P. (2014).Refraining from intrusive thoughts is strategy dependent: A comment on Sugiura, et al. and a preliminary informal test of detached mindfulness, acceptance, and other strategies. Psychological Reports, 115, 541-544.
- . Publication link: b84c8eab-dc17-45fa-935a-96c072026851
Wells, A., Morrison, A. P., Pyle, M., Chapman, N., French, P., & Parker, S. K. (2014).Metacognitive therapy in people with a schizophrenia spectrum diagnosis and medication resistant symptoms: A feasibility study. Journal of Behavior Therapy and Experimental Psychiatry, 45, 280-284.
- . Publication link: fa1cab31-5a4a-4075-be62-d7dfa28fc1e1
Wells, A., Welsh, P., Cartwright‐Hatton, S., Snow, L., & Tiffin, P. A. (2014).Metacognitive beliefs in adolescents with an at‐risk mental state for psychosis.Early Intervention in Psychiatry, 8, 82-86.
- . Publication link: 8775cff1-c53f-42ad-86b7-ca7433d94a10
Wittkowski, A., Wells, A., & Malik, S. (2014).Emotion regulation as a mediator in the relationship between attachment and depressive symptomatology: A systematic review. Journal of Affective Disorders.
- . Publication link: d14bc693-ba5c-4acc-9e1d-70a28de804a4
Wells, A., Carter, K., Carr, A. (Ed.), & McNulty, M. (Ed.) (2014).Generalised Anxiety Disorder. In The Handbook of adult clinical psychology: an evidence based practice approach. UK: Routledge.
- . Publication link: 80d0713d-5cf5-4cd9-84dd-18c5d8b7ba64
Bevan, D., Wittkowski, A., & Wells, A. (2013).A Multiple-Baseline Study of the Effects Associated With Metacognitive Therapy in Postpartum Depression. Journal of Midwifery and Women's Health, 58(1), 69-75. DOI:10.1111/j.1542-2011.2012.00255.x
- . Publication link: 0bcc3131-f269-4c8d-97f8-6bc2b0cd5314
Hjemdal, O., Hagen, R., Nordahl, H. M., & Wells, A. (2013).Metacognitive Therapy for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Nature, Evidence and an Individual Case Illustration. Cognitive and Behavioral Practice, 20(3), 301-313. DOI:10.1016/j.cbpra.2013.01.002
- . Publication link: 8fd34116-8210-4af2-a0e1-233ee7bfdafc
Spada, M. M., Caselli, G., & Wells, A. (2013).A triphasic metacognitive formulation of problem drinking. Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy, 20(6), 494-500. DOI:10.1002/cpp.1791
- . Publication link: 3aee5d38-5411-4d7b-9df2-6209e6c4337a
Wells, A., & Myers, S. G. (2013).An experimental manipulation of metacognition: A test of the metacognitive model of obsessive-compulsive symptoms. Behaviour Research and Therapy, 51, 177-184.
- . Publication link: 266121cf-3fd7-418c-a29f-fe8fd02d8518
Wells, A., Beven, D., & Wittkowski, A. (2013).A multiple-baseline study of the effects associated with metacognitive therapy in postpartum depression. Journal of Midwifery & Women's Health, 58, 69.
- . Publication link: 5e3b3673-1eb1-4e26-b0c6-fac5e0b728da
Wells, A., Hjemdal, O., & Stiles, T. (2013).Automatic thoughts and metacognition as predictor of depressive and anxious symptoms: A prospective study of two trajectories. Scandinavian Journal of Psychology, 54, 59.
- . Publication link: 87f2f340-25f3-4871-b1b4-048ebcef00a8
Wells, A., Hutton, P., Morrison, A. P., & Wardle, M. (2013).Metacognitive therapy in treatment-resistant psychosis: A multiple-baseline study.Behavioural And Cognitive Psychotherapy, 1-20.
- . Publication link: 140428a0-b7e6-4ef5-946a-278b88d788d9
Dragan, M., Dragan, W., Kononowicz, T., & Wells, A. (2012).On the relationship between temperament, metacognition, and anxiety: Independent and mediated effects. Anxiety, Stress and Coping, 25(6), 697-709. DOI:10.1080/10615806.2011.630071
- . Publication link: 7c3e8ba4-8f6a-4bf1-8c76-54f89365c59f
Wells, A., & Colbear, J. S. (2012).Treating Posttraumatic Stress Disorder With Metacognitive Therapy: A Preliminary Controlled Trial. Journal of Clinical Psychology, 68(4), 373-381. DOI:10.1002/jclp.20871
- . Publication link: ba26b155-535a-4f33-83fd-5b0f42f7e7a5
Wells, A., Fisher, P., Myers, S., Wheatley, J., Patel, T., & Brewin, C. R. (2012).Metacognitive therapy in treatment-resistant depression: A platform trial. Behaviour Research and Therapy, 50(6), 367-373. DOI:10.1016/j.brat.2012.02.004